Male Suspect Critically Injured In Best Buy Police Shooting In Tracy Along Hopkins Road
TRACY, CALIFORNIA (November 20, 2023) – A male suspect was critically injured at a Tracy Best Buy after police responded to a report of a burglary in progress.
San Joaquin County officials are saying that the incident took place around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday. Tracy police officers said that they got reports about multiple suspects breaking into parked trailers near the Best Buy on Hopkins Road.
When police arrived they noticed two suspects on the property and a short foot pursuit took place. One of the suspects was struck by several rounds and seriously injured.
Paramedics were called to the scene of the Best Buy in order to help the man. He was taken to the hospital where he was listed in critical condition.
A full investigation remains ongoing at this time.
Liability for Tracy Police Shootings
Officer-involved shootings have continued to rise over the past several years. According to the Washington Post, “Since 2017, the number has increased every year, and is now up about 10 percent compared with just three years ago. But criminologists caution that more data is needed to understand what is driving the rise.” There are many steps that police departments should take in order to prevent police shootings.
- Police departments should have clear use-of-force policies that indicate when police shootings are warranted.
- Police officers should have crisis intervention training so that officers know how to respond in difficult situations.
- Police department should be transparent about officer-involved shootings and always work to improve.
- Police departments should have specialized units that are trained to handle specific situations.
Police officers must do everything within their power to avoid needlessly harming suspects. Pursuant to 42 U.S. Code § 1983, every person who, under the color of any statute, law or ordinance, causes a citizen of the United States to be deprived of their rights secured by the constitution, shall be liable to the injured party in an action at law. There are a number of situations where a police officers should not shoot a suspect.
- Police officers should never shoot a suspect solely because they are attempting to flee.
- Police officers should not shoot or hit a suspect that has already been restrained.
- Police officers should not shoot a suspect over minor offenses involving non-violent crimes.
- Police officers should not shoot a suspect where there is a risk of hitting bystanders in the crossfire.
Police officers are only permitted to use lethal force in order to defend human life. Despite this, police officers regularly shoot suspects that are either fleeing or do not pose a significant threat of harm. Any person that is injured in a police shooting may have legal recourse through a civil claim. A civil rights attorney can examine all of the unique facts of your case and let you know what your legal options are.
Getting Legal Help After Tracy Police Shootings
We at the Sehat Law Firm extend our best wishes to the man injured in this Tracy police shooting at Best Buy. It is our sincere hope that he is able to make a full recovery. There needs to be a thorough investigation into what happened. Retail crime is not a license for police officers to shoot suspects at will.
Have you or someone that you care about been injured by the excessive force of Tracy police officers? There are a number of laws designed to protect your rights. Our team of civil rights attorneys are here to help you in any way that we can. We focus entirely on helping people who have been harmed by police abuses of power. Whether you just have legal questions or need a free, independent investigation into any incident we are here for you. You can reach out to us anytime at (949) 825-5200.